Sunday, February 22, 2015

VW Get Together

As Jeff's Volkswagen obsession has grown, he's become friends with people via internet who share the same love. We get together once in a while with His People locally, and also make trips a couple of times a year to various surrounding states. Saturday night was a local get together with some his water-cooled VW friends. The last couple of times we've seen them, I've been nagged about bringing MY water-cooled VW, a 2003 Eurovan, aka The Big Silver Rectangle, or as the children prefer: Steve. Because it just sounds funny as all get out to refer to the van that way. (They picked it up from the monkey in the movie Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs who randomly shouts his own name. "Steve!")

Anyway, I finally brought Steve to meet everyone and I felt like a celebrity surrounded by paparazzi when I drove up. Seriously. As I pull into the parking lot, I see guys start pointing and staring. Before I even parked one of them was at the window, "So you finally brought it!" Someone else walked up saying, "Hey, check out the Eurovan!"

Oh, stop it. You're going to make me blush.

So, of course I popped the hood, proudly answering their inquiries about the type of engine - the 200hp VR6, naturally, and eyebrows went up. "Nice!" "Really, the VR6?" "How many miles on it? Like 170?" Nope. Higher. 290,000. More amazement. "Bet it doesn't get 200 horsepower now!"

About that time, Jeff arrived in his Beetle - grinning from ear to ear at the guys all gathered around his van. I'm pretty sure I won him some points with the guys.

Me, Lauryn and Steve. And Brian, attempting to photobomb in the background.


Handsome, silly boy.



No comments: