Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Gettin' Crafty!

During our time with Jeff's parents, I've been determined, in addition to the rest of life happening, to get some craft projects done and ready for our new house. Today I worked on something I've wanted to do for a long time: getting creative with maps! I had an atlas to use, but it wasn't working quite like I envisioned. Thankfully, Cheryl dug out two old maps of Georgia that worked perfectly! 

I found some boards in Ken's shop that used to be a chair rail/border in Kaity's nursery once upon a time. Cheryl had painted the animals on them to match the animals in the nursery bedding. I decided to preserve her paintings, so I only painted on these on the flip side.


I cut strips from the map surrounding Augusta (the area where Jeff and I lived when we were first married), Atlanta (the area where Jeff was born), and Athens (the area where we currently live).

In the blue space, I painted some song lyrics ... I bet you can guess which one!





We love us some Ray Charles!

I had so much fun working on my little project that I decided to create another one! This is a gift for a sweet family who has obeyed God's call to move their ministry from one side of Georgia to the other. I cut the map on a diagonal from their former hometown to their new home.

Not a great picture, but the paint is semi-gloss so it doesn't photograph very well. The writing is a sage green.

1 comment:

Lynnette said...

Great idea. They turned out very nice.