Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Recipes

I've made several new recipes lately, four just today! I made Cream Cheese Banana Bread which is wonderful and has just a hint of orange. For dinner I made Apple-Onion Pork Roast, Butternut Squash Apple Bake, and Butternut Squash Rolls. I served all that with mashed red potatoes and made gravy from the pork roast juices. Everything was really good!

You can follow the links to the recipes, but I made a few changes to them (naturally!). The bake I made pretty much the same except that I cut the amounts in half-ish.

Bonus Tip for coring apples: I have a little flower shaped cookie cutter that's maybe an inch across. After slicing the apples into rings, I used the cookie cutter to punch out the seeds/core. They looked very pretty!

For the rolls I used half whole wheat flour and half bread flour. The texture is sooo yummy that way! Also, I saved water from cooking the squash to use instead of plain tap water. Last, but certainly not least ... when the rolls were done baking, I melted a tablespoon of butter in the microwave along with a couple teaspoons of honey. I brushed that mixture over the hot rolls. Wow. Just wow.

The pork roast recipe I just made up, but in case you're curious, I put the meat in the slow cooker, and sliced an onion and a couple of apples (core, peel, and all, baby) over it. Then I seasoned it with fresh thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. I poured a cup or so of natural apple juice in there, and added a few tablespoons of cider vinegar. As an afterthought, I glugged in some chicken broth from a box in the fridge. I didn't want the roast to be too sweet from the juice. I cooked the whole mess on low for about 7-8 hours. Again, wow.

2 comments:

Triple Blessings said...

The roast sounds yummy! You are a great cook!

Adoptedforlife said...

Well I have just copied every recipe you have included in your blog all the way from the beginning the sound yummy and I am ready to try. thanks for sharing. love Anne