Wednesday, June 04, 2014

It's My Birthday!

Well, it WAS my birthday ... again with the whole "taking too long to blog" thing. Anyway, when Jeffrey asked me what I wanted for my birthday this year I told him something that completely shocked him: I asked him to take me shopping. I generally don't enjoy spending an afternoon at the mall like a lot of people do. But this year I had a few things I had been researching, some stuff I needed to get, and the kids were in need of some clothes, too. SO, I asked Jeff to give me a budget and let us spend the day together spending it. He happily obliged on the Saturday following my birthday, taking the big kids to his parents' house and keeping Lauryn with us.

We went to the downtown antique stores first, because we love going but rarely have the time and opportunity to browse. Afterward we were headed back to the van when Jeff paused outside our local department store, Jay's and wondered aloud whether "that red coat" would still be there. Back in January he had seen this red dress coat and thought it would be perfect for me. I talked him out of buying it for me then because I technically already have a dress coat. Apparently he was still thinking about it. Long story shortened, I ended up asking the store owner if they still had the coat, tried it on, Jeff and I both fell in love, and bought it for a fraction of the original price.

My mom laughed at me for buying a coat in 80° weather.


Our next stop was the local used bookstore. You get store credit by turning in old books, then you purchase books using a combination of cash and your store credit. I got a big stack of books, including one on German grammar, plus classics I didn't already own like Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein, and a Henry James collection.

After a lovely lunch at the Japanese restaurant, where Jeff became Lauryn's favorite when he gave her a taste of sweet tea, we hit up a couple of kids' clothes stores and I got the little girls a few things they were needing. We took a break at home and then hit up a few stores in Athens. I got several "crafty" items that you'll be seeing referenced over the next few posts, I'm sure. I love little projects! After a quick dinner we hurried to pick up our little crumbsnatchers.

The kids were less than happy to see us arrive, but Nannie and Papa were quite glad! We had a good visit with them, then headed home to bed.

All in all it was a lovely day spent with my handsome fella and our littlest progeny.

1 comment: