Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Homemade Household Cleaners

A couple of years ago, my migraines got really terrible and I was desperate for a solution. One of the things I tried was cutting chemicals out of my cleaning routine. I don't know if that actually helped stop the headaches, but I really liked the results of making my own cleaners, so I've kept it up. Plus, it's a LOT cheaper to make your own! Last night at our Ladies' Meeting at church we had a speaker who talked about how to clean your house efficiently and "as unto the Lord". It's inspired me to pass on my "recipes" for household cleaners. Most of these recipes come from a book by Karen Logan, Clean House, Clean Planet. I haven't read the book, but her cleaners are fabulous!

Glass Cleaner
Everyone knows this, probably, but regular white vinegar in equal parts with water works wonders! I add a few drops of essential oil because I like the smell, but it's not necessary.

Bathroom Cleaner
A clean 16 ounce flip-top bottle
1 2/3 cups baking soda
1/2 cup of liquid soap (I use Dr. Bronner's -- it's cheaper online, or at Kroger)
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons white vinegar

Mix baking soda and liquid soap in a bowl. Dilute with the water and add the vinegar last. Stir until the lumps are gone. If you can pour it into the container easily you have the right consistency. If it's too thick, add more water. I use a funnel to pour it into the bottle. Shake well before using. For future uses, add more water if cleaner seems dry. A little of this goes a long way!

Furniture Polish
A clean 16 ounce trigger spray bottle
2 teaspoons olive oil
Essential oil
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
Hot water (enough to fill bottle)

Mix 20 drops of essential oil, olive oil, and vinegar with hot water in bottle. Gently shake mixture. Ready for use. You have to shake this occasionally as you are using it because the oil separates in the water. This is a true "polish" -- I spray it on, then buff the surface until it's shiny and dry. You can't just wipe it off!

All-Purpose Cleaner
A clean 32 ounce trigger spray bottle
2 teaspoons borax
4 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 cup liquid soap (Dr. Bronner's)
Essential oil
Hot water (enough to fill bottle)

Fill bottle 1/4 full with hot water then add borax. Shake to completely dissolve borax. Next add vinegar, home soap, and 20-25 drops essential oil. Fill the rest of the bottle with hot water. Gently shake mixture. Ready for use.

Of course, I just recently gave you my recipe for Homemade Laundry Detergent.

**The essential oil in these recipes is optional. I like to use them in complementary scents and they're fairly cheap considering how long the bottles last. I only pay $3-$4 for them. I have 3 scents and I've had them for 2 years now.

**Always label your cleaners! I write the recipe on the outside, too, so it's handy for when I need to mix up another batch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like the recipe for furniture polish. I have used water and vinegar for years, but have always been concerned that it might not be good for the wood. Adding the olive oil and essential oils is a wonderful idea.