Friday, January 26, 2007

Home Improvement?

For the last couple of weeks, I have had the itch to fix up the house. I'm not much at housekeeping, but I make up for it by painting the walls pretty often -- you can't see the dirt if it's covered in a fresh coat of paint! For example, the bay window in our living room started out life white (blech!) then changed to green (blech!) then cream (until we decided on a real color) then light brown (too light) and now dark brown -- perfect! Five coats of paint in a year -- I wouldn't paint that window again if someone gave me a hundred dollars to do it. (Maybe.) Anyway, I also painted a couple of shelves for the kids' rooms, made "yarn balloons" to hang from their ceilings, and made name signs from wooden stars for their doors. My theory is that if I have a craft project to do, I can let the mopping/dusting stuff go until another day. My latest project has been to redo the master bathroom. It had hideous blue trim and an unattractive seashell wallpaper border near the ceiling. I painted the walls the same color as our bedroom -- cream -- and painted the trim the lighter brown that didn't work in the bay window. The shower curtain is a swirly rust red/gold. I bought rugs to match and blinds for the window. It looks so much better! The bad part is that now I have to catch up washing dishes, doing laundry, vacuuming . . .

No comments: