Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Poverty Of Chocolate

It's the fourth day of school, and I already have funny/sweet stories to share! Homeschooling is definitely never boring!

Day 2 - Joe sighs and says, "I miss summer vacation."

Kaity was reading Dr. Seuss to Selah and without breaking rhythm she handed the book back to the baby and said, "I am bored with reading now, you can do it - you know how!"

And now, a cool story about capturing teachable moments:

One day, the kids were hard at work at their individual tasks. They'd been diligent and quiet for several minutes (surely a record!) so I went to the kitchen and grabbed two peanut M&Ms for each child. I gave Kaity's to her, complimenting her on her hard work and focus. When I turned to Joe, he was lying on the floor pretending to sleep. I got his attention and showed him the M&Ms. His face lit up, then fell because he knew he'd been caught. I told him I would give him ONE because he had been working so quietly and well earlier, but that I would get to eat the other one. 

Later in the day, we were going over some scripture to establish some principles of our home school. We discussed topics like being teachable, obedience, and love, with accompanying verses from Proverbs, 1 Corinthians, and Ephesians, among others. When we got to hard work and integrity, one of the passages we read was Proverbs 6:6-11 (go read it if you're not familiar, I'll wait.) I pointed out to Joe how perfectly that matched what had happened to him earlier: "A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come upon you ..." I asked him what he had lost out on because of his "slumber" instead of working. Kaity giggled and piped up, "You had a poverty of chocolate!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cute! no one should ever have a poverty of chocolate. I bet he works harder now!
Stefanie DeJong