Thursday, August 14, 2008

Joseph Riley Pittard

Four years ago today, Little Joe was born! I had gone into the hospital to be induced, which I had heard takes FOREVER. The doctor planned to start at 9 in the morning, and told me that our baby probably wouldn't arrive before 2 in the afternoon. I told my parents not to rush, and they told us they'd be at the hospital around lunchtime. Well, another patient of my doctor had a baby in the early morning hours, so he came in at 6 a.m. asking if I wanted to go ahead with being induced. We agreed readily and the process was begun. After just one tiny dose of medicine, the doctor was shocked to find that I was in full labor! Joseph Riley was born at 9:05 a.m. The doctor made sure that I knew that if I had another baby I didn't need to waste any time getting to the hospital once labor started -- Katie in 5 hours, Joe in 3 -- It would be interesting to see what would happen with number 3!

My parents arrived at about ten minutes after nine -- I guess when a grandbaby is on his way, you don't wait around 'til lunchtime! They asked a nurse if the room they were in front of was Jennifer Pittard's, and the nurse said yes. My mom said, "But there's a baby crying in there!" She couldn't believe they'd missed Joe's birth by just a few minutes.

Joe, contrary to popular opinion, is NOT named for his Uncle Joe, Jeff's identical twin. Though he does have a remarkably similar personality, which Jeff finds pretty funny. And a little scary. He is named for my maternal grandparents, Riley and Josephine Floyd, otherwise known as Buddy and Jo.

So happy birthday to my baby boy, who thankfully cannot read and correct my assertion that he is my baby!



No comments: