Monday, March 24, 2014

Selah-Bella

Our little four-year-old's imagination has really kicked into high gear here lately. I thought I'd share with you a few of her latest exploits. She likes to pretend we're total strangers, for one thing.

"I would like to talk to you, ma'am. My girl has a fever. And my girl was choking. So, you want to go with me in Eli's car?" Her obsession with Eli's electric blue Mustang knows no bounds!

****

Selah laid her Dora the Explorer towel out on the floor and pretended it was a swimming pool. At one point Lauryn crawled over and started pulling at the edge of the towel. Selah, in true sibling fashion, tried to stop her from messing with it. I said, "It's okay, Selah, Lauryn just wants to go swimming, too."

Selah responded indignantly: "No, Lauryn will drown like this!" She held her hands over her head and sank down, saying, "Glub glub glub!"

****
She walked in the house from playing outside, cradling something imaginary in her arms. When she noticed me watching her, she shrugged and casually remarked, "My girl died." Then she placed "her" on the bay window and wandered off.

****
Selah likes to play grocery shopping in our living room.

Selah: "Um, I would like to talk to you, ma'am. I would like to buy this for my girl."
Me: "That will be twenty dollars."

Selah, with a funny, sneaky face: "Here you go!" And she whips my debit card out from behind her back.
 
****
The other thing she is doing lately is telling me all about her imaginary family. She has a mom and dad, a girl (sometimes two) and a grandpa (who is sometimes Grandpa Rick). She tells me all about them, pointing to random things outside the windows of the van and explaining, "That's my mom and dad's house." "That's my grandpa's red truck." And on one startling occasion, she pointed to a man walking down the street and said, "Hey, that's my dad!"

****
She has turned various things (blanket, box, bowl, this float) into a boat and rows her way across the kitchen using spoons as oars.

Every morning she asks for the last sip of my coffee.

Another "just like Mommy" shot ...
And here's a nice bonus shot of Lauryn playing in a box on our bed.

"Send me to Grammie!"


No comments: