Thursday, June 21, 2007

There's a New Name Written Down in Glory

Father's Day, Sunday morning, our pastor based his sermon on Psalm 128. Verse 3 says, "Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table." Brian quoted John Phillips who told of how olive plants are slow to grow and the planter has to be very patient and continue caring for it even though it has shown no berries.
"Normally, it will bear no berries until the seventh year, nor will the crop be worth much until the new tree is from 10-15 years of age." (John Phillips) I laughed when I heard this -- God certainly knew what He was talking about when comparing children to olive plants! I thought, with a touch of humor, "But Lord, couldn't I see just a little fruit in their lives, now and then?"

Well, God said, "Yes."

I went on to Sunday School after the sermon, and I began to greet my students (1st & 2nd Grade) and prepared to get them busy until class started. Our children's minister came to the door and told me that Katie was in counseling with Miss Annharrow. Kaitlyn had come forward during children's church saying that she wanted to ask Jesus into her heart! Annharrow talked with Katie about her decision and then prayed with her to accept Christ as her Savior.

Katie will go to a special new Christian Sunday School class for four weeks. After that, she'll be baptized as a symbol of how her old life has passed, and 'behold, all things have become new!'

No comments: